Very late one. I’ve been using this since last September (as those of you on twitter and following me would know).
It was on 2.1 for a long, long time – and even after 2.2 came out (first unofficially and then officially) I didn’t upgrade for almost a month (thanks to a missing usb cable and some laziness). I then upgraded to official 2.2, then one of the ‘Stock’ bootloaderless ROMs, and then to InDroid 3.0, then semi-bricked my phone (trying to install InDroid 4.0) and finally settled on Kyrillos.
In the spirit of Anna University, I’ll now list “Disadvantages and Advantages” ;)
- It’s reasonably slow
- GPS Does Not Work. There’s a hack to enable it, but still, geez.
- I’ll occasionally need to force close apps
- TweetDeck isn’t snappy
- Playing Angry Birds will give you a headache (super slow framerates!)
- Sometimes even the SMS app will be super slow
- Searching for contacts is a major pain
- SMS unread marking is incredibly awful
- SMS storage is limited
- GTalk can only use the first account synced
- Swpe very, very annoyingly keeps offering you tutorials every time you misspell a word
- Occasional Touch screen freezes
- Not quite usable in direct bright sunlight, even at full brightness
- Battery lasts for at most a day (I’m used to them lasting a few)
- Auto rotate is too sensitive, cannot be turned on
- Camera is awful
- Vibrate is nowhere near good enough
- Loses data connectivity at times, and needs to be restarted.
- Loses reception way too many times
- Never going to get official updates from now (Froyo itself was delayed by a few months!)
- Only 10.5k. This was when I bought it (~September 2010), so obviously newer/better phones on the market now. But when I bought it, this was the best value for money
- It’ Android
Considering all these, I still love my phone :D Moving from a ‘dumb’ phone to a smartphone was an incredibly life altering experience, and you can’t beat me into going back to a ‘normal’ phone again. Email/Twitter on the go is just awesome. I could’ve never afforded an iPhone – Android is the PC of our times :)